Archive for December, 2011
Although I am completely addicted to
food porn food blogs, I am loath to strictly follow a recipe. This results in me winging it in the kitchen most nights, which works out well because Captain Graybeard, Esquire is guaranteed to napalm the jungle at every meal, so he can’t taste what I cook anyway.
Unfortunately, baking requires more attention to detail and measurements, which is why I almost never do it. Even when I do I frequently omit anything I find excessive in favor of food I can make in a reasonable amount of time (rum soaked raisins? Seriously, Heidi?). But Christmas tradition requires me to make cranberry bread for breakfast Christmas morning, so this year I decided improve upon a standard recipe. And improve I did. Behold my new Christmas breakfast:
Spiced Cranberry-Orange Bread
- 2 cups flour (I used whole wheat)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon of leftover pumpkin pie spice blend (because you made too much at Thanksgiving)
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, spice blend and salt. Stir in orange zest and cranberries.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter, sugar, and egg until smooth. Stir in orange juice.
- Beat in flour mixture until just moistened. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour or until the bread springs back when lightly touched. Cool in pan, or on rack. Whatever.
Captain Graybeard, Esquire and I are headed to Tulum in February. Until then, I will be singing this little gem, the lyrics of which have been taking up space in my brain ever since my high school Spanish class. I had no idea the video would be just as awesome.