I just want to be really clear here because it’s important: if God tells you not to look back and you look back and you’re turned into a pillar of salt, I’m free to date, right?
Archive for November, 2011
Thankful for that blur in the background who enriches my environment on a daily basis and who ruins my photos with alarming frequency.
Subtitle: Occupy Seattle builds society that has the same problems as society; deals with it in a way that sounds like, well, a lot like society.
(Note: Quotes taken from Occupy Seattle’s General Assembly minutes; smart-ass commentary provided by yours truly)
Proposal: All proposals will require at least 80% support to pass and be adopted by the GA. (Because we just realized that although we are all part of the 99%, we can’t actually unanimously agree on anything)
Process & Facilitation Announcement: at last decision-making GA, Cody had proposal that wasn’t voted on because we didn’t have quorum
- we should discuss proposals at the beginning when there are more people. (And each person should be required to talk about how they feel)
- currently, can get buddies, pack the GA, and ram something through (I like this guy – he’s thinking ahead)
- can’t coddle the people who won’t make effort to walk from other there [camp; a few yards away] to here
- people gripe when decisions are made by small groups; can undermine what we’re trying to do; suggests quorum of 50 people to prevent hijacking of decision-making process (Because 50 people who agree on the same thing and actually show up to vote are impossible to find here)
- finds some of statements just made to be offensive; people at GA don’t prove that they are most serious and dedicated people; people here are just happy to be here; GA is uninviting to many people; many people who don’t show up are most dedicated; many people who do show up are not dedicated; many people who are not here were arrested for the movement, while many who are here did not; 30-40 people are not enough to make decisions (If anything sums up the irony of this movement, it is this statement right here)
- Everyone has probably been frustrated at one point. Root is related to lack of safe space to let it out. If you want to get involved, she’s starting Take Care of Each Other Working Group, for group therapy of sorts, where people can talk honestly without interruption or disagreement about what pisses them off. (Because this space ≠ safe)
- It’s true, frustrations run high when we cannot say what we feel.
- Old habits were to not participate. People who don’t want to participate: we respect your decision. We encourage you to participate. (Unless it’s because you’re lazy and can’t walk across camp to vote – then we don’t give a shit about what you think)
- Some people do not participate because they feel excluded. We need to hear people out even if it takes a while. (Do we? Because reading this is taking forever…)
- Suggests there are reasons GA attendance is low other than laziness or lack of inertia. Let’s consider what GA means and what its decisions mean to each of us. If GA is to be meaningful event, we should discuss what it actually means to us and what kind of authority it has.
- It has come to attention there are members of this camp who purposely sabotaged the vote. I call upon the heavens and earth to be a witness against this utter disrespect of my freedom to introduce a proposal that should not have been sabotaged by people claiming that we are a community. Now I feel I have no part in this community. (Apparently the dude from above got his friends together)
Over the weekend I went to my favorite local art gallery and fell madly in love with art of Michelle Anderst. Needless to say, I left with some framed originals and a plan to eat at home for the rest of the month. Totally worth it:
“Lusciously lathering my libidinous inviting ivories with each sensuous stroke. MEOW!”
Translation: I am brushing my teeth. The cat is here.
“Seductively sliding my work across the hot and heavy hard wood…”
Translation: I am at my desk pushing paper. The cat is not here.
“Washing off the dirty deliciousness with wondrous waters, whispering my wild wants. MEEEOWWW!”
Translation: I am talking to myself while doing dishes. The cat is here and needs to be fed.